We want to personally thank you for being a AAA Auto Insurance policyholder. We are here to help you prevent, prepare for, and recover from life’s uncertainties. As part of our continued response to COVID-19, we recognize that you’ve been driving less as a result of shelter-in-place mandates.
In recognition of decreased driving, members with an active policy as of April 30 will receive a 20% premium refund for two months of auto premiums (refunds are available everywhere, except where prohibited by law).* Members do not need to take action to receive their refund, and they can expect to receive their refund by mid-June. We’ll continue to evaluate the refund program based on the length of shelter-in-place orders.
If your last payment was made via debit card, credit card, or electronic funds transfer (EFT), you will receive your refund directly back to that method of payment.
If your last payment was made via any other form of payment (cash, personal check, etc.), you will receive your refund as a check via US Mail.
If you have more questions about the premium refund, you can review the FAQs below.
* Some exclusions may apply.
As shelter-in-place orders are extended, we will evaluate expanding the duration of this refund program.
There is no action required on your part at this time. Refunds will be automatically calculated and applied. You will receive another communication in early May with your exact refund or credit amount. Here’s a link to FAQs.
In addition to the refund for auto policyholders, we’re providing a variety of services and resources to help ease a very difficult time.
Being there for members
- We understand during times of uncertainty that you may need assistance in making payments or managing your policy, and we’re offering flexible payment options. Please reach out to our Insurance Specialists who are available to help at 800.207.3618, Monday through Friday 4 AM to 11 PM PT and Saturday and Sunday 4 AM to 7 PM PT.
- We are pausing cancellations for home and auto policies due to non-payment through May 31 (subject to state-specific guidelines/requirements, which vary by state).
- We have adjusted our claims practices to respond to the unique challenges our members are facing because of either being directly impacted by COVID 19 or the economic crisis.
- In support of members who are on the front line delivering critical items, we’re extending auto insurance coverage – at no additional cost – for drivers who are using their personal vehicles to deliver food and medicine. This change is currently scheduled to be in effect through May 4, and we’ll continue to evaluate as the situation progresses.
- You can easily manage your policies online 24/7 with MyPolicy, including printing insurance ID cards, setting up and managing Automatic Payment, as well as adding or removing drivers and vehicles (not available for all transactions and policies).
- Auto insurance: are you covered? Some states require mandatory liability coverage for automobiles. Click here to learn why your coverage is worth holding onto.
- CSAA Insurance Group employees and contractors – including our call centers – are now working from home, ensuring we maintain a productive, paid workforce that continues to be there for AAA Members.
- It’s important to take care of your emotional health in a stressful time. UnitedHealthcare, one of our employee healthcare providers, is offering a free mental health line available to anyone – not just CSAA Insurance Group employees. The toll-free help line (866.342.6892) provides access to specially trained mental health specialists. We’ve made this information available on our website, through MyPolicy, and through our social media channels (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook).
Taking care of our employees
- The well-being of our employees and their families is a priority, which is why 98% of our employees are working from home.
- At this uncertain time, we don’t want our employees worried about job security – so we’ve committed to no layoffs in the next four months.
- In the event an employee has tested positive for – or has substantially similar symptoms to – COVID-19, they’re eligible for up to two weeks (80 hours) of paid sick leave outside of their usual accrual.
- We’re making efforts to ensure the health of our employees while working from home, so we can continue to best serve AAA members. This includes virtual and on-demand wellness and meditation sessions, as well as mental health benefits.
Supporting our communities
- As one of the 50 most community-minded companies in America recognized by Points of Light, we’re proud of our connection to the communities we serve. We understand community needs will continue to evolve in the coming months and years. We remain flexible with our support so we can meet those needs now and in the future – including volunteerism, pro-bono work and charitable giving – and we’ve already made $70,000 in charitable donations to respond to community needs.
- In coordination with our cafeteria services partners, since March 16 we’ve been investing approximately $25,000 per week in making our cafes and their staff available to provide meals for our communities. At several office locations, we're providing approximately 500 daily meals with the support of our community partners: the Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano and Trinity Center in Walnut Creek, Calif.; Putnam Clubhouse in Concord, Calif.; the Area Agency on Aging in Glendale, Ariz.; and the Homeless Alliance in Oklahoma City.
- As part of our ongoing program to match employee donations to non-profits up to $250,000 annually, we are offering a special 2:1 match of employee donations to the National Foundation for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC Foundation) and Feeding America.
- We donated 700 N-95 masks from a supply kept for our natural-disaster response teams to two California Bay Area hospitals.
Premium refund FAQs
What do I need to do to get my refund?
No action is required on your part. We have everything we need to process this refund for you. No need to call or contact us.
How will I receive my refund?
If you have paid your policy in full, you will receive your refund via the method by which you made your last payment.
If you pay by installments, the amount will be credited to an upcoming bill.
If your policy renews before mid-May, you will receive a refund or credit on your next policy term premium.
How much will I receive?
You will receive a refund of 20% of your March and April auto policy premium*
*exclusions may apply
When will I receive my refund?
- If your last payment was made via debit card, credit card, or electronic funds transfer (EFT), you will receive your refund directly back to that method of payment.
- If your last payment was made via any other form of payment (cash, personal check, etc.), or if we are unable to issue you an electronic refund for any reason, you will receive your refund as a check via U.S. mail.
- If you used our payment assistance option in March or April, your credit will be applied evenly over each bill remaining in your policy term.
- If you updated your policy to reflect changes to your driving habits in March or April, your premium refund is the difference between a 20% premium refund for March and April, minus what has already been applied to your policy based on that update.
What communication will I receive?
You will receive an initial communication explaining the process, and you will receive a follow up communication when your refund is applied.
How did you come up with 20%?
Due to members driving less because of COVID-19 Shelter-in-Place orders, we are experiencing fewer claims. We have made the decision to pass this savings onto you.
What if I am experiencing financial difficulty paying my bills due to COVID-19?
We are happy to explore options to assist you. Please call us and we can work together.
I’m a new customer. How does this work for me?
If you have a policy for a portion of March/April, we will prorate the credit.
What if my state’s Shelter In Place lasts longer than 4/30?
We are monitoring the shelter-in-place restrictions. If the restrictions continue past 4/30, then we will remain flexible as the situation evolves.
Thank you for choosing AAA for your insurance needs and please let us know if we can be of assistance.