We want to personally thank you for being a AAA Auto Insurance policyholder. We are here to help you prevent, prepare for, and recover from life’s uncertainties. As part of our continued response to COVID-19, we recognize that you’ve been driving less as a result of shelter-in-place mandates.
Please use the hyperlinks below to learn more about our response during this pandemic.
Premium refund announcements
In recognition of decreased driving, we have announced two rounds of auto premium refunds AAA Auto Insurance policyholders:
- On April 10, we announced a 20% premium refund for two months of auto premiums after the beginning of widespread shelter-in-place orders (March 16 – May 15). (Refunds are available everywhere, except where prohibited by law; some exclusions may apply.)
- On June 3, we announced approximately $37 million in additional refunds to auto policyholders – representing a 10% premium refund for an additional 46 days, through June 30 – and complementing the approximately $100 million in refunds announced in April.
As restrictions ease and driving increases, you can be assured that your auto premiums will fairly reflect driving behavior and claims frequency.
If you have questions about the premium refunds, please review the FAQs below.
In addition to the refund for auto policyholders, we’re providing a variety of services and resources to help ease a very difficult time.
Being there for members
- We have adjusted our claims practices to respond to the unique challenges our members are facing because of either being directly impacted by COVID-19 or the economic crisis.
- We paused cancellations for home and auto policies due to non-payment through May 31 (subject to state-specific guidelines/requirements, which vary by state).
- In support of members who are on the front line delivering critical items, we extended auto insurance coverage – at no additional cost – through June 30 for drivers who are using their personal vehicles to deliver food and medicine.
- For those who needed assistance in making payments, we offered flexible payment options through June 30.
- You can easily manage your policies online 24/7 with MyPolicy, including printing insurance ID cards, setting up and managing Automatic Payment, as well as adding or removing drivers and vehicles (not available for all transactions and policies).
- Auto insurance: are you covered? Some states require mandatory liability coverage for automobiles. Click here to learn why your coverage is worth holding onto.
- It’s important to take care of your emotional health in a stressful time. UnitedHealthcare, one of our employee healthcare providers, is offering a free mental health line available to anyone – not just CSAA Insurance Group employees. The toll-free help line (866.342.6892) provides access to specially trained mental health specialists. We’ve made this information available on our website, through MyPolicy, and through our social media channels (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook).
Taking care of our employees
- The well-being of our employees and their families is a priority, which is why 98% of our employees are working from home. We incorporated social distancing in early March and then moved quickly to provide the tools needed for employees to work remotely – including our call center employees.
- In the event an employee has tested positive for – or has substantially similar symptoms to – COVID-19, they’re eligible for up to two weeks (80 hours) of paid sick leave outside of their usual accrual.
- We’re making efforts to ensure the health of our employees while working from home, so we can continue to best serve AAA members. This includes virtual and on-demand wellness and meditation sessions, as well as mental health benefits.
Supporting our communities
- As one of the 50 most community-minded companies in America recognized by Points of Light, we’re proud of our connection to the communities we serve. We understand community needs will continue to evolve in the coming months and years. We remain flexible with our support so we can meet those needs now and in the future – including volunteerism, pro-bono work and charitable giving.
- Early on we made $70,000 in charitable donations to respond to community needs, and we recently announced $300,000 in additional philanthropic support to organizations across the country. With the crisis of social unrest and racial injustice in our country, this most recent round of contributions includes support for Black, Latino and Native American communities, with $25,000 grants to national organizations – such as Race Forward, UnidosUS and First Nations Development Institute.
- In coordination with our cafeteria services partners, since March 16 we’ve been investing approximately $25,000 per week in making our cafes and their staff available to provide meals for our communities. At several office locations, we're preparing hundreds of daily meals and have delivered more than 50,000 meals – with the support of our community partners: the Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano (Concord, Calif.), Trinity Center (Walnut Creek, Calif.), Putnam Clubhouse (Concord, Calif.), the Area Agency on Aging (Glendale, Ariz.), the Homeless Alliance (Oklahoma City).
- As part of our ongoing program to match employee donations to non-profits up to $250,000 annually, we are offering a special 2:1 match of employee donations to the National Foundation for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC Foundation) and Feeding America.
- We donated 700 N-95 masks from a supply kept for our natural-disaster response teams to two California Bay Area hospitals.
Premium refund FAQs
What do I need to do to get my premium refund?
No action is required on your part. We have everything we need to process this premium refund for you. No need to call or contact us. Premium refunds will be automatically calculated and applied.
How will I receive my premium refund?
- If your last payment was made via debit card, credit card, or electronic funds transfer (EFT), you will receive your refund directly back to that method of payment.
- If your last payment was made via any other form of payment (cash, personal check, etc.), or if we are unable to issue you an electronic refund for any reason, you will receive your refund as a check via US Mail.
- If you used our payment assistance option since COVID-19, you will receive a credit that will be applied toward your premium due on future bills during your current policy term.
- If you updated your policy to reflect changes to your driving habits since March, your premium refund is the difference between your total premium refund to date minus what has already been applied to your policy based on that update.
How much will I receive for my premium refund?
- In April, we announced a 20% premium refund for two months of auto premium after the beginning of widespread shelter-in-place orders (March 16 – May 15).*
- In June, an additional 10% premium refund was announced reflecting current and projected driving and claims data as restrictions begin to lift across the country and people begin driving more. The 10% premium refund is for an additional 46 days, through June 30.*
*exclusions may apply
When will I receive my premium refund?
Premium refunds will be processed throughout July and should be received by August 15.
What communication will I receive?
You will receive an initial communication explaining the process in June for your premium refund, and you will receive a follow up communication in July with details of your premium refund amount.
How did you come up with 10% for the premium refund?
We recognize that while some restrictions imposed due to COVID-19 have eased, Americans are still driving less than they normally would be. To mirror the continued decrease, we will be refunding AAA Auto Insurance policyholders 10% of their premium for an additional 46 days, through June 30.
What if I am experiencing financial difficulty paying my bills due to COVID-19?
We are happy to explore options to assist you. Please contact our Insurance Specialists at 800.207.3618, Monday through Friday from 4:00 am to 11:00 pm PT, Saturday and Sunday 4:00 am to 7:00 pm PT.
I’m a new customer. How does this work for me?
If you have a AAA Auto Insurance policy active for any portion of the premium refund period (May 16 – June 30, 2020), we will prorate your premium refund.
What if my state’s shelter-in-place lasts longer than June 30, 2020?
Moving forward, and as we better understand new driving patterns, we will integrate lower driving patterns into future rates to ensure that you are paying the right amount based on your circumstances.
What happens if my policy was canceled during the premium refund period?
If your policy cancelled during the premium refund period, contact us and we can review the policy at your request and determine if any premium refund is due.
If you have questions about your policy, please reach out to our Insurance Specialists who are available to help at 800.207.3618, Monday through Friday 4 AM to 11 PM PT and Saturday and Sunday 4 AM to 7 PM PT.
Thank you for choosing AAA for your insurance needs and please let us know if we can be of assistance.