Contact Us
California Consumer Privacy Act Notice

When you visit our website, we collect your zip code or IP address to tailor your experience to your AAA club. We also collect information about how you use our site to analyze our traffic and improve our services. For more information about our privacy practices, please see our Privacy Policy.

Woman looking out window

Do you need renters insurance?

Many renters assume their possessions are protected under their landlords’ insurance policies. However, landlords typically only insure the building and land—not the property inside. 


Because renters insurance covers the value of your belongings, rather than the building, premiums are often relatively inexpensive and are generally worth the investment. If you add up the cost of your belongings, you may be surprised by the value of what you have.


While most homeowners have homeowners insurance, only about 40% of renters have renters insurance, according to the Insurance Information Institute. That means that the majority of renters are putting themselves and their belongings at risk if an unexpected event occurs, such as a fire, tornado, roof leak or theft. 


Renters insurance covers: 

  • Personal property: Your belongings are protected whether you’re at home or away.
  • Loss of use: If damage from a covered loss makes your home uninhabitable, many additional living expenses will be paid for by the insurer.
  • Personal liability: You’ll generally be protected against lawsuits for bodily injury, property damage and personal injury damages such as libel or slander. Specific coverages vary by state. 


Who should purchase renters insurance?

  • All renters should consider purchasing renters insurance. 
  • Full-time college students living away from home may also be at risk for loss. Students living in a dorm may have coverage for many items under their parents’ insurance, but expensive items such as computers, other electronics, musical instruments and expensive sporting goods may be subject to coverage limits under a standard homeowners or renters insurance policy. For students living off-campus, a separate renters insurance policy protects belongings and provides personal liability coverage. 


For more information, talk to a AAA Insurance agent or visit your local branch office.