WALNUT CREEK, Calif., April 10, 2020 – As part of our commitment to helping AAA Members prevent, prepare for and recover from life’s uncertainties, CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA insurer, is providing a 20% premium refund – totaling approximately $100 million – to auto policyholders. The refund reflects fewer claims as a result of people driving less due to widespread shelter-in-place orders.
“We’re committed to helping AAA Members recover from life’s uncertainties, today and every day,” said Tom Troy, CSAA Insurance Group president and CEO. “We want members, our employees and community partners to know we're here for them and want to help.”
Members with an active policy as of April 30 will receive a 20% refund for two months of auto premiums (refunds are available everywhere, except where prohibited by law). Members do not need to take any action to receive their refund, and they can expect to receive it by May 31. We’ll continue to evaluate the refund program based on the length of shelter-in-place orders.
- Policies paid in installments will receive a credit on the next bill.
- Policies that renew in May will receive a credit on the renewal bill.
- Policies paid in full will receive the refund via the method in which the last payment was made (check, credit card, or electronic funds transfer).
During the COVID-19 crisis, CSAA Insurance Group is focused on ensuring the well-being of AAA Members, our employees and the communities we serve. In addition to the refund for auto policyholders, we’re providing a variety of services and resources to help ease a very difficult time.
Being there for members
- We understand during times of uncertainty that our policyholders may need assistance in making payments or managing their policy, and we’re offering flexible payment options. Please reach out to our Insurance Specialists who are available to help at 800.207.3618, Monday through Friday 4 AM to 11 PM PT and Saturday and Sunday 4 AM to 7 PM PT.
- We are pausing cancellations for home and auto policies due to non-payment through May 31 (subject to state-specific guidelines/requirements, which vary by state).
- We have adjusted our claims practices to respond to the unique challenges members are facing because of either being directly impacted by COVID-19 or the economic crisis.
- In support of policyholders who are on the front line delivering critical items, we’re extending auto insurance coverage – at no additional cost – for drivers who are using their personal vehicles to deliver food and medicine. This change is currently scheduled to be in effect through May 4, and we’ll continue to evaluate as the situation progresses.
- Members can easily manage their policies online 24/7 with MyPolicy, including printing insurance ID cards, setting up and managing Automatic Payment, as well as adding or removing drivers and vehicles (not available for all transactions and policies).
- CSAA Insurance Group employees and contractors – including our call centers – are now working from home, ensuring we maintain a productive, paid workforce that continues to be there for AAA Members. And we’re continuing to invest in our business and member experience: We currently have about 90 open positions, primarily in IT.
- It’s important to take care of your emotional health in a stressful time. UnitedHealthcare, one of our employee healthcare providers, is offering a free mental health line available to anyone – not just CSAA Insurance Group employees. The toll-free help line (866.342.6892) provides access to specially trained mental health specialists. We’ve made this information available on our website, through MyPolicy, and through our social media channels (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook).
Taking care of our employees
- The well-being of our employees and their families is a priority, which is why 98% of our employees are working from home.
- At this uncertain time, we don’t want our employees worried about job security – so we’ve committed to no layoffs in the next four months.
- In the event an employee has tested positive for – or has substantially similar symptoms to – COVID-19, they’re eligible for up to two weeks (80 hours) of paid sick leave outside of their usual accrual.
- We’re making efforts to ensure the health of our employees while working from home, so we can continue to best serve AAA Members. This includes virtual and on-demand wellness and meditation sessions, as well as mental health benefits.
Supporting our communities
- As one of the 50 most community-minded companies in America recognized by Points of Light, we’re proud of our connection to the communities we serve. We understand community needs will continue to evolve in the coming months and years. We remain flexible with our support so we can meet those needs now and in the future – including volunteerism, pro-bono work and charitable giving – and we’ve already made $70,000 in charitable donations to respond to community needs.
- In coordination with our cafeteria services partners, since March 16 we’ve been investing approximately $25,000 per week in making our cafes and their staff available to provide meals for our communities. At several office locations, we're providing approximately 500 daily meals with the support of our community partners: the Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano and Trinity Center in Walnut Creek, Calif.; Putnam Clubhouse in Concord, Calif.; the Area Agency on Aging in Glendale, Ariz.; and the Homeless Alliance in Oklahoma City.
- As part of our ongoing program to match employee donations to non-profits up to $250,000 annually, we are offering a special 2:1 match of employee donations to the National Foundation for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC Foundation) and Feeding America.
- We donated 700 N-95 masks from a supply kept for our natural-disaster response teams to two California Bay Area hospitals.
“At times of crisis, we have an even greater opportunity to rise to the challenge, show our best selves, and do what we can to serve with care and compassion,” said Troy.
About CSAA Insurance Group
CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer, offers automobile, homeowners and other personal lines of insurance to AAA Members through AAA clubs in 23 states and the District of Columbia. Founded in 1914, the company has been rated “A” or better by A.M. Best for more than 90 years, and is one of the top personal lines property casualty insurance groups in the United States, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. The company has been repeatedly named one of the 50 most community-minded companies in America by Points of Light. More information is available at http://csaa-insurance.aaa.com and on social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn).